Gillikin is the northern quadrant of Oz and home of the Gillikinese.
The region is the most prosperous and industrially developed region in Oz, and is the home of the prestigious Shiz University. Galinda Upland hails from Gillikin, as do (according to some) the ruling Ozma family. The people of this province are distinguishable by their prominent foreheads and slightly gapped front teeth. They often have heads of curling blond hair, and are believed to be temperamental by non-Gillikinese.
Gillikin is composed of Mount Runcible and the Pertha Hills in the northwest where various upper class cities such as Frottica, Wittica, and Settica are located. In the northeast, the Great Gillikin Forest is located and other cities such as Traum and Tenniken are positioned along the Great Gillikin Railway which runs through the entire region. The city of Shiz is located in central Gillikin.
City of Shiz Edit
Shiz is the de-facto capital of Gillikin and one of the most populous and industrious cities in all of Oz, second only to the Emerald City. The city is led by the Lord-Mayor of Shiz, who holds quite a bit of Gillikin representation.
The city is also home to Shiz University, where Elphaba Thropp, Nessarose Thropp, Glinda Upland, Boq, and Fiyero Tigelaar attended school together. The university is composed of a cluster of many different colleges such as Crage Hall, Briscoe Hall, Three Queens, and Ozma Towers. Madame Morrible was the headmistress of Crage Hall.
Known Gillikinese Edit
- Glinda Arduenna Upland: The Good Witch of the North.
- Madame Morrible: Headmistress of Crage Hall at Shiz University and a cohort to the Wizard.
- Avaric Tenmeadows: The Margreave of Tenmeadows and an old school friend of Glinda and Elphaba.
- Brrr: Lion from the Great Gillikin Forest.
- Milla: School friend of Glinda and wife of Boq.
- Shenshen Minkos: School friend of Glinda, later a teacher at St. Prowds.
- Trism bon Cavalish: Army comrade and lover of Liir.
- Ama Clutch: Old chaperone of Glinda while in school.
- La Mombey Impeccata: A sorceress and later Eminent of Munckinland.
- Larena Upland: The mother of Glinda.
- Highmuster Arduenna: The father of Glinda.
L. Frank Baum's original books Edit
In the original stories by L. Frank Baum, the Gillikin Country is distinguished by the color purple worn by most of the local inhabitants as well as the color of their surroundings. The inhabitants are called Gillikins.
In contrast to Maguire's Wicked Years, in which Glinda is the good witch of the north, in Baum's novel's Glinda rules the south.